Thursday, October 13, 2011

DVD Review: ZOOKEEPER



ZOOKEEPER might not be high art by any means, but it's a perfectly nice family film that children will no doubt just love. Comic actor, Kevin James(THE KING OF QUEENS) plays a bumbling but well intentioned zookeeper whose animal charges include a talking gorilla among others. Adults might find this script juvenile, but it's perfectly nice for family viewing.


An all-star cast voices the animals who support zookeeper Griffin Keyes and want to keep him at the zoo. Adam Sandler, Sylvester Stallone, Don Rickles, Cher, Nick Nolte, Maya Rudolph and Jim Bruer are among the voice actors for this enjoyable little film.


This film was a decent box office hit, grossing over $164 million despite $80 million in production costs to make.


Like many family films, audiences like this movie far better than the critics which gave the film horrible reviews and just a 13% Rotten Tomatoes critical approval rating. But, the critics aren't always right. ZOOKEEPER is a charming enough movie, and Kevin James is delightful enough here along with his all-star cast of animal pals. ZOOKEEPER will likely remain a family favorite for years to come, regardless of what the critics think about this film.


The Bottom Line: Hardly any classic by any measurement, yet a perfectly enjoyable family film by those standards. Children will be delighted with this movie, while parents may be less so. You need to just let loose and go with the story and enjoy this film for what it is, and not what it might have been. ++1/2(Better than fair, nearly good).

1 Comments:

At 8:20 AM, Blogger gman said...

That is exactly what I thought about this movie is that my kids enjoyed it more than my wife and I. I have to admit that the physical comedy that Kevin James delivers up is really funny in this movie but the story doesn’t carry me along well because there is too much common sense I have to suspend to watch it. My kids were begging me to rent a movie and honestly I’m reluctant most of the time because most of them aren’t appropriate for my kids. I’m a very strict parent when it comes to what they watch but when I saw Zookeeper on my employee DISH Network receiver I rented it because I heard good things about it. I always rent in HD because we have a big TV and DISH always has the best quality HD available. The HD is free for life too for qualifying customers which always impresses me when I think about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home