Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dish Network Might Face Record Fines For Breaking Federal Laws


Only a few months ago, I wrote a piece on the outrageous telemarketing abuses by Dish Network. I got a number of sympathetic comments by other injured consumers who strongly agreed with my attack on Dish Network's aggressive telemarketing practices. Now Dish Network, perhaps the most notorious abuser of federal "do not call" telemarketing laws in American history, is being sued by the federal government for failure to settle with the government for their excessive and abusive harassment of citizens registered on the federal "do not call" registry.

In defence of itself, Dish Network issued a patently false statement claiming to "be in compliance" with the federal "do not call laws. However consumer phone records clearly prove that either Dish Network or it's authorized dealers made literally hundreds of robocalls to many consumers home phone numbers, sometimes more than once a day. And that these robocalls often were made to numbers on the "do not call" registry, or to consumers who made repeated requests for Dish Network to stop their harassing telemarketing calls. Currently more than 167 million phone numbers are on the federal "do not call" registry.

Dish Network appears ready to fight the government in court. However phone evidence proves that this company clearly abused consumers who wanted to left alone with aggressive telemarketing practices. When consumers requested to not be called by this company, authorized telemarketing agents would often just rudely hang up on the consumer, and the hundreds more telemarketing calls would only continue. It was not uncommon for some consumers to receive 300-500 telemarketing calls a year from Dish Network or it's authorized dealers.

In my own case, Dish Network made my own life a living Hell, by forcing me to run to the phone so many times when I was caring for two sick elderly parents, who both later died, and I had to answer so many of their abusive telemarketing calls when I was making funeral arrangements and for months afterwards while I was involved in the complex probate proceedings. Dish Network caused me substantial loss of time and aggravation. And every request I made of the company to stop calling my number was ignored until I made another request in writing to the company where I informed them that I would bill them for economic damages and charge them $35 per phone call for each 100 unwanted phone calls I received from them if they won't stop. Only this finally deterred the company from making hundreds of robocalls to my phone number.

Because the telemarketing abuses by Dish Network have been so serious, likely the Federal Trade Commission will seek fines way in excess of the record $5.3 million in fines that DirecTV paid for telemarketing abuses that were not nearly as bad as Dish Network's rampant consumer abuses by any means. But so far, the threat of paying a $16,000 fine for each violation of the federal "do not call" laws failed to deter Dish Network, which is apparently stubbornly preparing itself for a major court fight to defend it's abusive campaign of telephone harassment of consumers who have no interest in becoming Dish Network customers whatsoever.

Lawyers for Dish Network may attempt to claim that federal "do not call" laws are unconstitutional constraints on free speech or some other nonsense defense ploys. However, the excessive harassing nature of so many hundreds of unwanted calls to consumers should pretty well damn any defense moves by Dish Network. Dish Network is highly likely to be facing the worst consumer protection case loss in court ever. And they do indeed deserve to lose their case. Under President Obama's FTC one of the worst corporate abusers of consumer rights is finally facing justice.

2 Comments:

At 3:27 AM, Blogger Ami said...

Hi,

I just visited your blog at "http://progressivevalues.blogspot.com/2009/03/dish-network-might-face-record-fines.html" and found an interesting one for content link exchange with my website and blogs. As your blog is relevant with mine so it would beneficial for both of us and in this way we can also increase our back links. If you also find it suitable then please let me know at- ami.roberts86@gmail.com

Thanks,
Ami Roberts

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger mamapeg said...

Hi,
My problem with Dishnetwork is not on phone calls, which I have had many, but the door to door sales men that have weasled their way into my home by saying he had to use my restroom. After sitting for 3 hours listening to first one young man & then he called in another young man, even after I had told them I WAS NOT interested they literally coereced me to sign the paper with both young men standing over me. I am a senior citizen & on a fixed income & I told them many times that I wasn't interested & they kept saying that they would save me $40.00 a month & I told them I just wasn't interested. I am 100% disabled and they were acting like fools. One even jumped up and acted like a monkey. I am unable to sit for long periods of time or stand or walk. About half way through their heavy duty pushing I had to get up and go & take some pain medication, in which that time the first young man asked if he could have some as he had hurt his back & I told him that NO, I was on a pain contract and that was against the law. He then asked me for a muscle relaxer & I gave him an Aleve.(Which is an over the counter Medication).) I was getting very tired and my pain medication was starting to work and I was getting a little woozy & quite frankly ready for bed & once again I asked them to leave. This did not stop them & they persisted & persisted & I was getting more & more stressed out & they could obviously see that I was now under the influence of my medication. At this time after I had given the young man the Aleve, he then told me he had also had a beer or so earlier. I asked again for them to please leave & at this time they both stood over me & put a clip board in front of me & told me I HAD to initial & sign where he had marked. I said once again, I'm not signing anything & they got closer & said that I was already in their system & I HAD to sign. Being a senior citizen, & 100% disable, they actually scared me & they pushed the pen in my face & said to sign it. At this time I did as I was frightened & under the influence of my Prescription pain pill. They told me that they would be back on the next day to install & I once again told them that I did not want Dishnetwork. After a few minutes they called me back & told me that they couldn't get me in the next day but they would call me & re-schedule me, which I once again said I don't want Dish I'm happy with what I now have.

I have since called the main office & they have been threatening & even the man that hooks-up the Dish said that he didn't feel right about this whole situation. He even talked to the 2 salesmen & the Home Office has called me numerous times & said that they would buy a part so I could have the same option as my neighbor had. I told him NO, I just want this out of here & have my cable that I had before.

I plan on making a police report tomorrow & also call the Attorney General's Office.

If you can be of any help to me it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Peggy Espinoza

 

Post a Comment

<< Home